Tuesday, February 11, 2014

What's in a Name?

    Standing before me yesterday was a very well educated, well spoken, well dressed, and well intentioned pair of gentlemen who are administrators at a local university.  I really enjoyed meeting these guys and hope I get a chance to work with them.  They had questions, lots of them and good ones about how to change the development culture at their shop.  As our conversation progressed in the lobby of our development studio it was all smiles and nods and handshakes.  That is until someone used the word "resource" in reference to the group of human beings that author software for the aforementioned university.
    While I did not respond verbally, I am sure my face gave away my dislike of the term.  And after we wrapped up our chat, I found myself being critical of my own opinion.  I wondered if I was just being a silly, high-maintenance jackass about the phrase.  I have been on an anti-'resource' mission for 7-8 years now.  Maybe it's time to chill out a bit on the topic.  But then again maybe it's not :-)
     I don't want to get into an entitled, 'special snowflake' situation.  I do want to humanize the art and craft of software development.  The idea that developers are some fungible asset that can be leveraged on any project with equal outcomes is silly.  I sincerely doubt that silly idea was the impetus for the comment mentioned above, but speaking in that way leaves the door open for interpretation.  So...I disapprove. (shocker, I know)
    Software development is in a protracted period of transition.  Business and IT are quickly becoming the same thing, or at least combining to become the new state of things.  Software developers are the authors of the context in which business will be done for the foreseeable future.  In order to allow these human beings to do their best work, we need to be deliberate about creating an environment where uniqueness and creativity are the norm.  We want the best from our software developers so that we can continue to advance the business of IT and/or the IT of business.  The leaders among us need to expend effort making that happen.  Choosing our vernacular, our physical spaces, our processes, and our tools are all part of that equation.
    So pretty please, don't call us resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment